Saturday, 6 June 2015

         Castello di Montegiove- Umbria's Best Kept Secret

Castello di Montegiove (Castle of Montegiove) is situated in the province of Montegabbione in Umbria. Owned and run by Lorenzo Misciattelli and his family since four centuries, the castle is perched on a hill top facing the stunning Apennine mountains.




This rustic 13th century medieval building adds quite a "Harry Potter" touch to it, which got me curious. I contacted Lorenzo to find out about their guided tours and he was most kind to fit me for a date of my own choice.

On arriving, I was given a guided tour of the castle and I met Lorenzo's lovely wife Rikki. I could see their passion for the land and their attention to detail. Thanks to Lorenzo I learnt so much more about Umbria's history. It is commendable to see how the Italians treasure their heritage and take pride in showing it. 






Lorenzo explained the estate that they owned which consisted of 1200 hectares of Umbrian land including several vineyards. 

The Misciattelli family made their own wine of which the main products were Umbrian Rosso and Orvietano Rosso. I was shown the process of making the wine and the wine cellar where thousands of bottles of wine were stored. It was followed by a grand wine tasting and yes there is plenty to purchase too! I went with the Orvietano Rosso- a fresh and fruity wine and comparatively younger compared to others. 




  


The castle and its surroundings give the impression of being right out the pages of a medieval fantasy novel. What is even better is that there are two beautiful and luxurious apartments created around the castle grounds by Lorenzo and Rikki. It is picturesque and blissful for a perfect Italian holiday that one would seek in the Umbrian countryside amongst old olive mills and vineyards to enjoy nature at its best. 





I am thankful to Lorenzo and Rikki for their hospitality and warmth. They are wonderful hosts and so thoughtfu. It is an honor for me to be their first guest from India!



To see more images of the castle grounds and facilities check here. Best way to reach Castello di Montegiove is by car. It is just a 50 minutes drive from major towns such as Perugia and Orvieto. For more information visit the website.

7 comments:

Vinitha said...

Oh how beautiful and nice! Enjoy a glass of Rosso for me! Adding Montegiove to my ever-growing Italy list

Ishita Sood said...

I will definitely! Had you been nearer, you would have been invited for the same ;) cin cin!

Travelling with Lyn said...

Hi Ishita. I have arrived. Phew. Not easy. This castello sounds amazing. The next time I am in Umbria I will visit your lovely castello.

Ishita Sood said...

Phew! Finally. How did it work? I am glad you can comment now :)

You must definitely. ! I know you will love it!

Priyanka Bhardwaj said...

Right out of some fantasy land ! What a beautiful castle !! :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures and what a beautiful castle... would have been a lovely experience.. :)

Ishita Sood said...

Thank you, it was!

Post a Comment