Laocoon and his Sons in the Vatican
On my visit to the Vatican museums last year, I literally chanced upon this ghastly representation of Greek history that I was unaware of before (image above).
The statue was that of "Laocoon and his Sons". Excavated in Rome around the year 1506, this statue stands coolly in a corner in the Pio-Clementino museums of the Vatican. When I rested my eyes on it for the first time, I was a little flabbergasted to tell you the truth. I remember standing there for a good 5 minutes, just staring at the sheer brilliance of the work. This is the miraculous statue that shows much beyond than marble and art. Yes, it shows human emotions and agony.
When the statue was excavated, Michelangelo was one of the few to be there at the excavation site. It is believed he was highly impressed by the sculptor and it had a deep impact on him and the Italian renaissance that was to follow. Now after coming from the Vatican I did read a little on this figure that is noteworthy to share.
The Laocoon and his Sons have an interesting myth tied to it. Laocoon, who was a Trojan priest, warned Trojan leaders not to get the famous "Trojan horse" in the city. However, the leaders did not pay heed to Laocoon. This warning caused Laocoon his life because he had angered the Greek goddess Athena. She reprimanded him for his interference and ordered sea serpents to attack him along with his two sons. The 7 foot long sculptor depicts exactly that. One of his sons is breaking free from the snakes and looking at him and his brother, who too are just minutes away from death.
So if you happen to visit the Vatican museum, do check the statue of Laocoon and his Sons that is in display in Pio-Clementino museum.
Have you been to the Vatican museum and wondered who this statue belongs to??
On my visit to the Vatican museums last year, I literally chanced upon this ghastly representation of Greek history that I was unaware of before (image above).
The statue was that of "Laocoon and his Sons". Excavated in Rome around the year 1506, this statue stands coolly in a corner in the Pio-Clementino museums of the Vatican. When I rested my eyes on it for the first time, I was a little flabbergasted to tell you the truth. I remember standing there for a good 5 minutes, just staring at the sheer brilliance of the work. This is the miraculous statue that shows much beyond than marble and art. Yes, it shows human emotions and agony.
When the statue was excavated, Michelangelo was one of the few to be there at the excavation site. It is believed he was highly impressed by the sculptor and it had a deep impact on him and the Italian renaissance that was to follow. Now after coming from the Vatican I did read a little on this figure that is noteworthy to share.
The Laocoon and his Sons have an interesting myth tied to it. Laocoon, who was a Trojan priest, warned Trojan leaders not to get the famous "Trojan horse" in the city. However, the leaders did not pay heed to Laocoon. This warning caused Laocoon his life because he had angered the Greek goddess Athena. She reprimanded him for his interference and ordered sea serpents to attack him along with his two sons. The 7 foot long sculptor depicts exactly that. One of his sons is breaking free from the snakes and looking at him and his brother, who too are just minutes away from death.
So if you happen to visit the Vatican museum, do check the statue of Laocoon and his Sons that is in display in Pio-Clementino museum.
2 comments:
Wow, what a stunning statue. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for stopping by, Avinash :) I am glad you liked it!
Post a Comment