Monday, 22 December 2014

                      Gaudi's Casa Batllo & Casa Mila

Have you ever been fascinated by Antoni Gaudi's architecture? The person behind the famous Sagrada Familia had a weird, eccentric and different style of art. Gaudi was a Catalan architect who is the inspiration behind Catalan Modern and Gothic architecture. He is known to have created architecture through ceramics, glass and used pieces. I had a chance to visit several of his designed works on my visit to Barcelona, two of which I wanted to share in this post. 

One of them is Casa Mila (House of Mila)- a modern Catalan building designed around the year 1906 and 1910. I took a stroll around this building and skipped going inside because of the steep entrance ticket. Casa Mila is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is open to public from 9 a.m- 8 p.m. It is also the headquarters of the Fundació-Catalunya La Pedrera, which is also the reason why it is sometimes known as La Pedrera.

Casa Mila

Another building that took to my fascination was the Casa Batllo (House of Battlo) which is located in the heart of the city. It was redesigned in 1904 by Gaudí and is open throughout the year. The building has a skeletal irregular type look and is sometimes called the House of Bones. 

The entrance fee to Casa Batllo is about EUR 18. However, it is totally worth the money seeing it from the inside. Sadly, I have no pictures to show you as my camera battery did not last as I entered the inside.

Casa Batllo
I can however show you what Casa Batllo looks like from the outside. With its lofty arches and weaving balconies, Casa Batllo is unlike any of the monuments/buildings you may have seen.

The house has a ground floor along with a balcony, the main floor and a huge rippling loft. The ground floor has oval windows and is covered with colorful broken ceramic tiles. The main floor has huge multicolored windows that are made from stained glass. 

The most different part of the house was its roof, which is usually likened to the back of a dragon or a dinosaur. Casa Batllo also has an interesting loft which is arched and beautifully refurbished.



No comments:

Post a Comment