A Day In Venice
Venice, the sinking city as it's so famously called now, was a day trip for me. I booked tickets with Trenitalia through the counters in the railway station at Florence. Very simple and easy! I left for Venice at 8:50am from Florence. It was a quick 2.5 hour journey journey and though I could have easily stayed for a night or two, it was very expensive and out of bounds since I was on a budget travel.
Nevertheless, I was excited. More to travel by the water buses and gandola and to explore this city on water. I reached Venice and purchased an 12 hour pass for the city which cost me 14 euros (prices may vary now) It included a visit to all the famous islands and unlimited to and fro rides in the water buses.
Hopping on the water bus, I saw the reputed Grand Canal, gandolas driven by their tall handsome owners, couples holding hands together, the sound of water, old rustic hotels with little flowers on the entrance.. Aah!
I was in Venice! And I just crossed the famous Rialto Bridge! I could hardly believe my luck. I started my sightseeing from St. Marks Square- the most well known part of the town. But too many tourists and it was so crowded. I clicked a few shots of the area, explored the surroundings and made my way out of there.
So by the end of it, I hopped with the ticket on a water bus that took me to one of the posh islands in Venice. A remarkably pleasing sight and a posh island with beautiful villas. It is noteworthy to mention that for a while it dint seem I was in Venice at all because of the posh feel to the town with fancy cafes and quiet enclaves.
After a while I got tired of walking and endlessly longed to be in one of the villas and have a cuppa. So I hopped again on the water bus and visited Murano- the quiet little island which was known for glass making. It was a short excursion.
Scenic beauty lasts longer in your mind I think because I remember the journey so vividly. On reaching, I was ushered me to a small shop cum production area where glasses were made. They showed us how they cut designs out of freshly made glass. It was interesting! I roamed around in the shop and everything was worthy of praise but expensive again.
Spending an hour in Murano, I was already late for Burano so we went for a nice lunch in a recommended cafe- A Beccafico in Campo Santo Stefano. Overlooking the statue of famous writer Nicholas Tommaseo, this cafe was full of toursists like me. I ordered black squid ink spaghetti followed by a cup of hot coffee. The spaghetti made my tongue black (which I dint enjoy) but it was one of the least hurried (albeit late) and quiet lunches I had.
It was nearly 430 when I left the cafe and I knew it was almost time to head back in a couple of hours! I waited for the overcrowded water bus to drop usoff at the first stop which also happens to be the railway station. I saw Venice during sunset. It was breathtaking and most romantic. I'll definitely come back soon ;-)
Venice memories are special, I bought a few souvenirs for myself (yes Venice was expensive). The Venetian masks still hangs on my closet while the others became gifts from a foreign land!
A tip for the travelers- no trip to Venice is complete without a gandola ride.
Venice, the sinking city as it's so famously called now, was a day trip for me. I booked tickets with Trenitalia through the counters in the railway station at Florence. Very simple and easy! I left for Venice at 8:50am from Florence. It was a quick 2.5 hour journey journey and though I could have easily stayed for a night or two, it was very expensive and out of bounds since I was on a budget travel.
| Venetian Masks |
Hopping on the water bus, I saw the reputed Grand Canal, gandolas driven by their tall handsome owners, couples holding hands together, the sound of water, old rustic hotels with little flowers on the entrance.. Aah!
I was in Venice! And I just crossed the famous Rialto Bridge! I could hardly believe my luck. I started my sightseeing from St. Marks Square- the most well known part of the town. But too many tourists and it was so crowded. I clicked a few shots of the area, explored the surroundings and made my way out of there.
So by the end of it, I hopped with the ticket on a water bus that took me to one of the posh islands in Venice. A remarkably pleasing sight and a posh island with beautiful villas. It is noteworthy to mention that for a while it dint seem I was in Venice at all because of the posh feel to the town with fancy cafes and quiet enclaves.
Scenic beauty lasts longer in your mind I think because I remember the journey so vividly. On reaching, I was ushered me to a small shop cum production area where glasses were made. They showed us how they cut designs out of freshly made glass. It was interesting! I roamed around in the shop and everything was worthy of praise but expensive again.
| Murano: Glass Making |
| A Beccafico |
It was nearly 430 when I left the cafe and I knew it was almost time to head back in a couple of hours! I waited for the overcrowded water bus to drop usoff at the first stop which also happens to be the railway station. I saw Venice during sunset. It was breathtaking and most romantic. I'll definitely come back soon ;-)
Venice memories are special, I bought a few souvenirs for myself (yes Venice was expensive). The Venetian masks still hangs on my closet while the others became gifts from a foreign land!
A tip for the travelers- no trip to Venice is complete without a gandola ride.
4 comments:
You definatly will go again .. :))
haha yep :) thank u!
Awesome...the description of the travel takes the reader on a vacation in a similar way as the writer of the blog..engrossing must say..:)
Thanks Sunder Sir :-) im glad u went for a vacation!!
Post a Comment