Friday, 10 January 2014

                                          The Cinque Terre Diaries

Cinque Terre was a name I had not heard until recently. Located on the Ligurian coastline in the La Spezia area, the word Cinque Terre means five lands. I saw some of its pictures online and found myself in awe of the place. I wondered where else will I ever find such a picturesque and colorful location and made up my mind to surely visit it.

Riomaggiore
Monterosso
So I planned and stayed in Cinque Terre for three days; enjoying the silence of the hillside and the beauty of the sea. The five lands of Cinque Terre- Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza and Monterosso are set on 5 different hilltops. An excellent train connectivity to every village and several trekking trails is a cherry on the cake.

 

                                  

Staying in a sleepy little town called Biassa, 
I along with my 3 friends, left from Riomaggiore (the first village) station at 9 a.m. We took a train to the last village, Monterosso, after purchasing a Cinque Terre card to trek our way towards Vernazza, Corniglia and Manarola. There are two different types of trek trails - The Red and the Blue Trail. We did the latter and the more popular one- The blue trail. 

A sunny day awaited us- clear blue skies and
 a large expanse of the sea below crashing on the rocks. We saw vineywards, citrus trees, olive fields, and wild strawberries growing profusely. I did not expect the Northern side of Italy to be so beautiful, so appealing to the senses. We reached Vernazza around 12 p.m. after much panting. But it was worth the wait. The view of Vernazza from the hill left me speechless. I couldn't imagine a more prettier sight. And nothing could be as peaceful as catching a glimpse of the horizon whilst you trek to your destination. 



                          
               Vernazza
Vernazza offered a great variety of sea food and wine, although it was crowded and full of toursists. We ate the best sea food platter and a mango gelato to end the sumptuous feast. 

After Vernazza we trekked our way to Corniglia. Little did we know that we would be seeing one of the most serene and amazing sunsets ever. I wish I could have stayed there longer. 


Corniglia
Our last stop was the villages of Manarola- one of my most favorite villages so far. The view and the picturesque location was breathtaking.

Thank you, Italy!

How to Reach- Cinque Terre can be reached by train /bus/ ferry/car from any of the major cities in Italy. The train station to reach Cinque Terre is La Spezia. Check Trenitalia for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment