Lake Bled, Slovenia: Out of Grimms' Fairy Tale
I remember going through pictures of Slovenia before visiting it this summer. Lake Bled, one of the most popular tourist destinations of Slovenia, evoked a sense of fantasy, as if it was a place right out of a Grimms' fairy tale.
Located in the town of Bled, Lake Bled is only an hour and a half drive's from the capital city of Ljubljana and an easy day trip.
I reached the town of Bled quite early in the morning to use the entire day to my advantage. As I walked through the town of Bled, I saw a hoard of Japanese tourists who were accompanied by a tour guide and were all, it seemed, making their way to see the majestic Lake Bled. I followed.
The view left me breathless!
I was astounded by the emerald green color of the lake and the small island. Lake Bled is a really right out of a fairy tale that houses a beautiful church along with stunning views of the Julian Alps.
I hovered around the area, clicked probably a hundred pictures of Bled and relaxed myself on a bench. It was truly a sight to behold and one that ignites inspiration, romanticism and creativity.
The entire area of the lake is laden with caffes and tourist activities not to forget a casino, a mini train for the kids and an Irish pub. It is easy to grab a bite and sit in one of the caffes and continue walking along the course of the lake. A must eat from the Bled is the popular Bled Cream Cake- which is literally a slice of heaven and droolsome!
Then there is also the medieval Castle of Bled, perched on a hilltop. Although almost every other person hikes to the castle, I chose to give it a miss and instead just wandered around the circumference of the lake.
It turned out to be the best and most ideal way to see the lake and also quiet simple. Only a 5 km walk gave me the best views of Bled as I got nearer.
If one is spending a day in Lake Bled, it is good to see the better of Bled with a traditional "pletna" ride (maximum of 8 people for EUR 12 each) and visit the Church of Assumption. It is also possible to rent a personal pletna to make it fancier and more relishing.
The Church of Assumption is very charismatic with 14th century frescoes along with a very famous "wishing bell". According to a legend, anyone who rings the bell gets their wishes fulfilled. Worth a shot, I'd say!
I remember going through pictures of Slovenia before visiting it this summer. Lake Bled, one of the most popular tourist destinations of Slovenia, evoked a sense of fantasy, as if it was a place right out of a Grimms' fairy tale.
| The town of Bled |
Located in the town of Bled, Lake Bled is only an hour and a half drive's from the capital city of Ljubljana and an easy day trip.
I reached the town of Bled quite early in the morning to use the entire day to my advantage. As I walked through the town of Bled, I saw a hoard of Japanese tourists who were accompanied by a tour guide and were all, it seemed, making their way to see the majestic Lake Bled. I followed.
The view left me breathless!
| Lake Bled and the Church of Assumption |
I hovered around the area, clicked probably a hundred pictures of Bled and relaxed myself on a bench. It was truly a sight to behold and one that ignites inspiration, romanticism and creativity.
The entire area of the lake is laden with caffes and tourist activities not to forget a casino, a mini train for the kids and an Irish pub. It is easy to grab a bite and sit in one of the caffes and continue walking along the course of the lake. A must eat from the Bled is the popular Bled Cream Cake- which is literally a slice of heaven and droolsome!
![]() |
| The Bled Castle |
It turned out to be the best and most ideal way to see the lake and also quiet simple. Only a 5 km walk gave me the best views of Bled as I got nearer.
If one is spending a day in Lake Bled, it is good to see the better of Bled with a traditional "pletna" ride (maximum of 8 people for EUR 12 each) and visit the Church of Assumption. It is also possible to rent a personal pletna to make it fancier and more relishing.
The Church of Assumption is very charismatic with 14th century frescoes along with a very famous "wishing bell". According to a legend, anyone who rings the bell gets their wishes fulfilled. Worth a shot, I'd say!
Tell me what you think about this post? Also, have you been to Bled?

18 comments:
This place is beautiful! Your photos make me think I should add this to my list of places to visit.
What a lovely post, Ishita! And the place looks stunning.
Yes Ishita. Like a fairy tale. No I have not visited Bled. I must say you find some truly lovely places. How special is that red heart. Lyn
Thank you Sheila. It is a dream world! You must visit :)
Thank you Shekhar :)
Thank you Lyn. Since you keep travelling to Italy and Slovenia is so close, maybe you should go too?:)
Maybe one day
What magical pictures of the town.. Very pretty. Also I really like the castle :P You know my fascination for castles <3 Happy read <3
I know you will Lyn :)
Thanks PB. It was right out of a fantasy tale! Glad you enjoyed :)
Hi Ishita - Davy from LakeBledNews.com. As you know we love your coverage of Bled and Slovenia. If anyone is tempted by your stories, they can get more info from www.lakeblednews.com
Davy, so nice of you to comment over here! Thank you so much! I hope they do. Several people are interested to visit Bled now from India!
Great post!
Thanks a lot John :)
Beautiful place and pictures.. :)
Thank you PM :)
such lovely photos and loved reading about it...good job,Ishita :)
Thank you Babe :)
Post a Comment