My Umbrian Wanderlust in Le Ginestre Greppolischieto
Do you have a secret place in Italy that you love but wouldn't want anyone to know about? Well I do. But its time I share it with you!
Situated just 45 minutes away from Assisi and Perugia, Le Ginestre Greppolischieto is a small medieval borgo with only two inhabitants. Yes just two. Really hard to believe but its true.
 |
| The entrance to the village |
 |
| Commemorating village soldiers lost in the war |
This picturesque village was a rather unexpected find for me. I had no prior planning or knowledge to visit this borgo. Greppolischieto is extremely charming. It boasts a tiny piazza at the entrance which has preserved the names of soldiers who died in the war. The names dated back to 1919 and 1923 and it felt special and warm just thinking how the villagers had commemorated the small piazza for them.
 |
| A quiet alley |
An old couple who are now the only inhabitants of this borgo, work really hard to keep the place tidy and beautiful. There are no caffes or trattorias here, only uninhabited homes and lost stories. Of course you will also find typical potted plants that are symbolic of Italian homes along with endless view of the Umbrian countryside.
The beauty of this borgo is hard to describe which is why it completely mesmerized me. Greppolischieto is immensely enchanting and yet hauntingly beautiful (especially late evening).
 |
| Entrance to a home now uninhabited |
It is undoubtedly one of the most special corners that I visited in Umbria and will always stay close to my heart.
Hope you enjoy and absorb these pictures of the wonderful village of Greppolischieto as much as I did. Aren't unexpected findings the best? What do you think?
How to reach- Greppolischieto can be reached by car on the route to Citta del Pieve or Castello Montegiove from Perugia. I found two very useful articles on this borgo by Delicious Italy and Hen House Umbria. Happy Reading!
17 comments:
I realy agree! We are almost 'neighbours' and living since 1999 in the countryside of Pornello in our former farmstead 'Polmone Turismo Verde'. From our house we can see Greppolischieto and several times we visited the beautiful little village.
Succes with your blog!
Roos Zwager
How cool is that! Just saw your website and loved the farmhouse, maybe next time we could meet? Thank you for stopping by Roos and your wishes for my blog are indeed special :)
This is incredible, thanks for sharing with us all! I definitely need to visit this special place. Perhaps some day I can add to the population of two! :)
Lovely Ish! you have made me fall in love with this country..thanks for sharing this wonderful experience! :)
Very interesting story behind this small town !! Loved reading it and I can easily say from the pictures that it is one beautiful place!! <3
Thank you for the comment Priyanka :) I feel so good when you say you have fallen in love with Italy through my posts!
Thank you PB .. Its such a quaint village you wouldn't want to come back. !
Welcome Tony! am so glad you enjoyed it! Perhaps :) Invite me for a cuppa, ok?
What a great job the couple do there to keep the little place so beautiful.
I totally agree Debra :) So neat and quaint!
Consider yourself invited anytime!
Gosh Ishita, what an amazing find. I can hardly believe that just one elderly couple keeps it looking so immaculate. Your photos are lovely and I can sure see why it was so special.
Grazie mille, cara. That is why it remains too special a place from my Umbrian trip <3 Thank you for stopping by. The couple sure make it look fabulous!
What an incredible post. Quite a serendipitous find, I must say. Your pictures look so lovely, Ishita!
- Pallavi
Thank you Pallavi! :) It is a great find, I know..
interesting story and such a lovely place. :)
Thank you so much!
Post a Comment