The Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli
The Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli (St. Mary of the Angels) is a colossal church located just at the foothill of Assisi. While passing it on my way to Assisi I was awestruck. I am not a Catholic but churches have always intrigued me, probably much more than temples. So while returning from Assisi I visited the basilica.
| The dome of Santa Maria degl Angelica from Assisi (look closely) |
| Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli |
Santa Maria Degli Angeli is a Mecca for the followers of St. Francis of Assisi. Situated in the town with the same name, the basilica was built in the 13th century.
![]() |
| The Porziuncola |
The rest of the basilica is stupendous and beautiful. I recently learnt from the online world that this church also happens to be the 7th largest Christian church in the world.
Flanked by a thornless rose garden where it is believed St. Francis of Assisi talked to turtle doves, Santa Maria degli Angeli stands out from all the churches I have visited so far in Italy. It has intricate interiors and stunning exteriors with different stone inscriptions and frescoes.
![]() |
| The dome of basilica from outside |
Opening Hours:
7:00 am to 6:00 p.m. (Summer) & 7:00 am to 5:00 p.m. (Winter)
On Sundays, the basilica opens at 6 a.m in summer and winter both.
How to reach:
From Assisi- Take a bus from the Piazza Matteotti (5-7 minutes)
From Perugia- Take a bus from Piazza Partigiani (25-30 minutes)
From Florence or anywhere else- Direct trains to the town. Visit Trenitalia for more info.
The town of Santa Maria degli Angelica is quite small but vibrant. Here are some pictures of the town:
You might also like: My Umbrian Wanderlust in Greppolischieto











14 comments:
It is a beautiful church, and I was surprised to stumble upon it after visiting Assisi. To have two magnificent churches so close to one another, and so steeped in history. Thank you for sharing this post and your pictures with me, I have some similar pictures of the church and your post brings back very fond memories of my trip. I also learned some new facts from you, bravo!
Interesting blog. I visited Assisi a few years ago and didn't visit Santa Maria degli Angeli, apparently a big oversight on my part. It was early August and a sweltering day with hoards of tourists and pilgrims, so I stayed up at the basilica and visited other churches in the town. If I had realised what I was missing, I'm sure I would have made the effort. Next time!
Thank you Tony, you made my day! I agree I was gaping at it. It is stupendous! I am glad I could bring back some wonderful memories for you!
Thank you Orna. Hope you get to visit it soon, its beautiful and ornate in its own ways! Since you are closer I take it you will visit it before my next visit ;)
It never ceases to amaze me the size of these churches that were built prior to sophisticated machinery. How did they do it!!!! Another lovely church which I don't remember seeing when I visited Assisi.
I totally agree Lyn. I am open mouthed seeing a little town with a HUGE church and even better interior.
What a fascinating structure!
Thanks, it is a mammoth structure really!
I think Santa Maria degli Angeli gets neglected, as people don't realise it has connections with St Francis. In my opinion the way it is built over the modest Porziuncola is a metaphor for what has happened to Christianity. Hopefully thanks to you the church will have more visitors now.
I totally agree. It was sad to lesser people there. even the church wasn't as full as the others. I don't know much about the Porziuncola except what I wrote. Thanks for letting me know Alys!
Interesting Post and huge church :)
Thank you so much :)
Another great article with beautiful photos..enjoyed reading it a lot :)
Yay. Thanks a lot!
Post a Comment