Montserrat is a unique high peaked mountain on the outskirts of Barcelona and also the site of Santa Maria de Montserrat. Known for enshrining the Virgin of Montserrat, this 4,000 foot mountain is just an hour's drive away from the city. I booked a tour with Julia
travels (http://www.juliatravel.com/) to enjoy the short trip. Our tour guide was very informative and helpful. He sat in the front seat of
the bus and gave a brief of the history of the city, some instructions and also made sure we dint sleep on the way!
I absolutely loved the drive to Montserrat as it was away from the city madness. We entered a quiet patch where greyish colored mountains welcomed us. I knew I would somehow love this Catalan holy site.
| View from Montserrat |
Upon entering, a huge line of colored prayer candles stood on an alley to anyone who wished to light and pray. It was so divine and calm!
| Inside the Basilica |
The interior of the Basilica, just to the right of the monastry, was amazing. There was a line of stalls outside the monastry which sold home made cakes and fresh wine. I tasted different types of wine on the way back. All in all a scenic place and a must visit to escape the hustle and bustle of the city life!
A traveler tip- You can also book a train to Montserrat from the Espanya railway station and reach the base of the mountain from where a cable car takes you up.
2 comments:
"also made sure we dint sleep on the way" :D I'm sure that mustn't be possible considering the beauty that this place is.. The whole journey to and fro must be divine Ish.. look at the candles.. wow :D I would totally love this place if and when i visit.. therefore keeping your 'traveler tip' in mind :P
Yes it was'nt possible but I did catch a 20minute power nap in between :P divine and beautiful ...haha thank u!
Post a Comment