Experiencing Herbal House in Slovenia- 'Slocally'
When I was in Slovenia last month, I was invited by Vesna Veliscek, the owner and Founder of "Herbal House" in Plave, Soca Valley. The Herbal House is adjacent to the Soca river and border northeastern Italy and Western Slovenia. Just about an hour's drive from the hustle and bustle of Ljubljana, the Herbal House seemed like the perfect retreat I wanted.
The drive to Plave was magical. Lush green countryside, typical European churches and high mountains welcomed me as soon as I left the city of Ljubljana.
A jar of beautiful pot-pourri and books added a personal touch to the room. Each room had an adjoining balcony with beautiful views of the Kurada and Kuk hills.
When I was in Slovenia last month, I was invited by Vesna Veliscek, the owner and Founder of "Herbal House" in Plave, Soca Valley. The Herbal House is adjacent to the Soca river and border northeastern Italy and Western Slovenia. Just about an hour's drive from the hustle and bustle of Ljubljana, the Herbal House seemed like the perfect retreat I wanted.
The Herbal House is promoted in Slovenia through Slocally - a travel company founded by Vesna that promotes Slovenian culture and region with the locals. (Hence the name= "Slovenia locally")
Fun Fact: Plave is mentioned in Ernest Hemingway's book "A Farewell to Arms".
Fun Fact: Plave is mentioned in Ernest Hemingway's book "A Farewell to Arms".
| My Lovely Host- Vesna |
![]() |
| Soca River (Image Courtesy: AmazingPlacesonEarth) |
| Enroute Plave |
I reached Herbal House quite early in the morning and was so happy to see myself in front of a cute cottage in the valley. Open 365 days, Vesna is running a unique concept of homestay that uses fresh herbs to relax, eat and unwind.
I had the privilege to meet Vesna's parents- Ivan and Karmen who stay on the ground floor of the house. Both of them were a delight and also extremely passionate about their work. They ushered me in the garden with herbal tea and traditional Slovenian cake.
I had the privilege to meet Vesna's parents- Ivan and Karmen who stay on the ground floor of the house. Both of them were a delight and also extremely passionate about their work. They ushered me in the garden with herbal tea and traditional Slovenian cake.
| The Herbal House |
| Traditional Slovenian Cake and Herbal Tea |
I could see that they were interested in different cultures of the world and the Indian culture was certainly one of them. It was a great experience to talk to them and unwind. The three of them were truly Slovenians in heart and soul who took pride in showing their land.
| Vesna's Garden |
Vesna gifted me a herbal soap (home produced) and then showed me the Herbal Rooms on the first floor. There were two rooms- one with a queen size bed that accommodates a single person and another with a king size bed that accommodates a family of four.
A jar of beautiful pot-pourri and books added a personal touch to the room. Each room had an adjoining balcony with beautiful views of the Kurada and Kuk hills.
| The Queen Size Bed |
| The King Size Bed |
| Clubbed with the Double Room |
The uniqueness of the Herbal Rooms lay in the mattresses and pillows that were made of ferns and other herbs that Vesna and her family hand-pick themselves. I was ready for my herbal experience. It was so relaxing as soon as I lay my head on that herbal pillow and slept away in no time.
I really had a distinctive experience in the Slovenian mountains - fresh air and untouched beauty. It will stay with me forever. Thank you dear Vesna for a wonderful experience and a beautiful friendship.
I really had a distinctive experience in the Slovenian mountains - fresh air and untouched beauty. It will stay with me forever. Thank you dear Vesna for a wonderful experience and a beautiful friendship.
How to reach- From Ljubljana take a bus or a train till Nova Goricia from where you can hitch hike or rent a bike. Car pooling is also another common option.
Disclaimer: This post has been initiated, written and edited by me. I was hosted by Slocally but the opinions expressed are purely my own.
You might also like- Why Should You Visit Slovenia
You might also like- Why Should You Visit Slovenia



15 comments:
Soca River is so beautiful... :)
The description of the place is yet again a treat to read.. :)
very nicely written. must be an amazing experience
Gosh Ishita this sounds like such an amazing experience. I have never heard of anything like this. How do you know about this Lyn
Herbal House ! That's a first ! and wow what a place! Enjoyed reading about it as much as I would like to experience it sometime :D
Thanks PM. Its gorgeous and worth going!
Thanks for stopping by Meenakshi. It was amazing!
Thank you Lyn! I chanced upon "Slocally" on google and Vesna helped me figure out the rest. You must visit :)
I know. Perfect for a cuppa with a view!
Thanks I will check it out
Dear Lyn, welcome to Herbal House. Soca valley is close to Gorizia (Italy). Come in contact with me through email: vesna@slocally.com All the best and lots of traveling. Vesna
Another great article..such a beautiful place :)
Thanks a lot :) It really was!
Thanks Vesna for stopping by. Lyn hope you take it forward from here :) Cheers!
Reading this article was a treat Ishita ! Herbal House seems like a wonderful place to experience sometime :)
Thanks Chinkal for stopping by :)
Post a Comment