The Walled Castle of Monteriggioni in Tuscany
Spending a day in Florence in the summer can get to you. Its hot and crowded. I wanted to get away from the mess so I decided to visit Monteriggioni in Tuscany.
Yes, Tuscany is not just rolling hills, cypress trees and wine tasting. It has a history and legacy which goes far beyond that. Monteriggioni is part of that history.
A charming walled town with a castle that has been preserved since the 13th century, Monteriggioni was built around 1213 and 1219. It has deeply alluring landscape and beautiful vistas.
The quaint medieval town, which comes under the Siena province, was used as a defence against enemies during times of war.
Yes, Tuscany is not just rolling hills, cypress trees and wine tasting. It has a history and legacy which goes far beyond that. Monteriggioni is part of that history.
A charming walled town with a castle that has been preserved since the 13th century, Monteriggioni was built around 1213 and 1219. It has deeply alluring landscape and beautiful vistas.
The quaint medieval town, which comes under the Siena province, was used as a defence against enemies during times of war.
![]() |
| Image Courtesy- Flickr |
How to reach Monteriggioni - Best to take a bus if you are coming from Siena, Pisa or Florence.
How to access walls- Pay EUR 3 for amazing vistas by climbing to the ancient walls.
You might also like- Far from the Madding crowd in Fiesole
You might also like- Far from the Madding crowd in Fiesole

10 comments:
This little town.. what a beauty.. Looks like one of the sets out of the Game of Thrones series <3 Pictures are beautifully taken !
Walled cities have their own charm. Very well written.
I totally agree. Thanks Praveen!
Thanks PB. It does.. Its such a small town, you can cover it in 10minutes!
One of my favorite things about italy. Quaint walled towns. Another lovely escape from the busy touristic city
Gorgeous!
Fantastic photos! I was there last April, it was one of the stops we made when touring a couple of vineyards in the region, and I loved it. Hope to go back some time soon.
Thank you Lyn. I really love this part about Italy myself.
Thank you for stopping by Diana :)
Thanks a lot Tony. I visited a vineyard too :) Hope to visit Monteriggioni & Siena again. Maybe live there for a few days
Post a Comment