Sunday, 21 June 2015

                   The Allure and Nowhereness of Trieste

Before I decided to explore Trieste, I read on its history and region to which it is the capital of- Friuli Venezia Giulia. Overlooking the Gulf of Trieste, Trieste borders Slovenia and Austria and has willingly adopted characteristics of both the countries. This lively city has changed hands of ruler-ship from the Austrians to the Hungarians and finally the Italians in just over a century!

The Grand Canal

Which is why Trieste to me felt foreign and more alluring, as if it was a part of another country. Trieste looked like a city in Austria, because of its similar architecture and many (including myself now) associate it with a city being "nowhere". 

As Jan Morris perfectly describes in her book Trieste and the Meaning of Nowhere:

 "Trieste is a highly subjective sort of place, and often inspires such fancies. People who have never been there generally don't know where it is. Visitors tend to leave it puzzled and, when they get home, remember it with a vague sense of mystery."

Beautiful Pastel Hues         


Trieste is a city of dreams. It is charming, dignified and fashionable. The city bewitched and seduced me, I almost feel like it is a part of me and I am a part of it.


There is much to write about this beautiful port town that it seems unfair to include it all in one post.

Piazza unita d'Italia at Dusk
Stay tuned for more on Trieste and its cafe culture, literary tours, Friulano wine, seafood and coastal towns; not to forget the beautiful Miramare Castle for which it is so famous.

How to reach- Trieste is well connected by train and is only 1 hour 50 minutes by Venice and 4 hours 30 minutes by Milan. The nearest airport is Gorizia from where there are shuttle buses to the city. Trieste makes a beautiful base to visit nearby countries such as Slovenia, Croatia and Austria.

For more information on Trieste visit here.

11 comments:

Susie said...

beautiful! I've never been to Trieste but I love the idea of visiting a city in Italy that has also an Austrian vibe. Thank you for sharing! Love your pics!

Unknown said...

Trieste.... amazing scenic beauty...... :)

Priyanka Bhardwaj said...

This little port town is such a beauty.. The pictures say it all I guess.. ;) Have put it on my - 'To Be Visited soon' - list !

Ishita Sood said...

Thanks for stopping by Susie :) Pleasure is all mine, glad you liked it!

Ishita Sood said...

Thanks for stopping by PM :) it really is!

Ishita Sood said...

Thanks for stopping by PB :) hope you visit it really soon ;)

Travelling with Lyn said...

What a beautiful city, Ishita. Your photos are lovely. The photo of the piazza is particularly stunning. It really does have an Austrian feel to it making it such a lovely mix.

Ishita Sood said...

You must visit it next time you go :) When is it now? Grazie mille. The piazza is breathtaking! I could not take my eyes off it!

Anonymous said...

My dad is from Trieste! Really interesting that you quoted the Jan Morris book - I don't think it's that well known? Great photos!

Ishita Sood said...

Interesting to hear that :) thankU! I went Caffe san marco and everyone was raving about this book. had heard about it earlier too. Its a great one!

Isabel said...

I also love Trieste -- an underrated city with lots of surprises if you scratch the surface! I'm going to check out Jan Morris' book now... sounds interesting!

Post a Comment